This episode examines multifamily market shifts in the Midwest and beyond with Chicago-based investor Drew Breneman, Founder of Breneman Capital.
The Crexi Podcast explores various aspects of the commercial real estate industry in conversation with some of the top CRE professionals in the space. In each episode, we feature different guests to tap into their wealth of CRE expertise and explore the latest trends and updates from the world of commercial real estate.
In this episode, Crexi’s Yannis Papadakis sits down with Drew to discuss entrepreneurial lessons learned, creating a self-sufficient investment firm, and the current state of the multifamily sector in Chicago and beyond. Their wide-ranging conversation includes:
- Introductions, early entrepreneurial experiences, and key lessons.
- Investing in a first duplex and catching the real estate bug.
- Lessons learned early on and favorite mistakes.
- Breneman Capital’s unique multifamily investing ethos and what sets them apart from other firms.
- Modeling acquisition strategies on NCAA bracket prediction tools and using 900+ variables for higher accuracy predictive analytics.
- The skills and growth needed to scale from conducting $3M deals to $30M+ deals.
- Finding the best property managers and setting up the best self-sufficiency processes.
- Discussions on the current state of the market and multifamily in the Midwest vs. nationally.
- How Breneman Capital is navigating transaction velocity and sourcing capital amid a lending crunch.
- Rapid-fire questions and sign-offs.
- And much more!
Prefer video? The episode also lives on our Youtube page:
About Drew Breneman:
A natural-born entrepreneur, Drew started his first business at 14. He then launched a highly-successful internet business while in high school. His ambition to find the best investment vehicle for his earnings from his internet business led him to real estate, purchasing his first two rental properties at 19 years old.
His drive attracted the attention of HGTV, where Drew was featured as an up-and-coming real estate investor. He wanted to share what he had learned and aspired to provide others direct real estate ownership opportunities.
Drew earned his BBA in Real Estate & Urban Land Economics from the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s Wisconsin School of Business — one of the top real estate programs in the nation. Upon graduation, he worked for three national real estate development firms, each focusing on different product types, affording him a broad knowledge base for the office, retail, market-rate multifamily, and affordable multifamily sectors.
In 2005, he founded Breneman Capital, specializing and expanding their presence in value-add multifamily in Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, and Austin over the last several years.
Crexi is transforming commercial real estate with advanced, integrative technology and data analytics designed to accelerate every CRE stakeholder’s success. From trading properties to machine-learning-powered industry Intelligence, Crexi’s intuitive CRE solutions accelerate transaction velocity and have empowered over 2 million monthly users to close $540 billion in deals and market over $5 trillion in property value.