This episode explores tried-and-true lessons leading a CRE investment firm across cyclical shifts with Alex Zikakis, President & Founder of Capstone Advisors.
The Crexi Podcast explores various aspects of the commercial real estate industry in conversation with some of the top CRE professionals in the space. In each episode, we feature different guests to tap into their wealth of CRE expertise and explore the latest trends and updates from the world of commercial real estate.
In this episode, Crexi’s Yannis Papadakis sits down with Alex to discuss the current and past phases of the commercial real estate market, lessons that apply regardless of market cycle, navigating seller expectations, and much more. Their wide-ranging conversation includes:
- Introductions and pivotal early entrepreneurial learnings.
- Favorite mistakes and early lessons learned in risk management, setting expectations, and preparing for every eventuality.
- The importance of understanding human behavior in commercial real estate
- The origins of Capstone Advisors and why it prioritizes value-add investing.
- Current markets of operation and why they’ve shrunk the assets in portfolio over time while still scaling revenue.
- The importance of the right team to stay nimble while navigating market challenges,
- Explaining the strategy of pulling back investment activity in “ideal” market conditions.
- Current challenges of being a CRE investor in today’s market and how Capstone is adjusting.
- Outlook for 2024 and things to keep in mind moving forward.
- Rapid-fire questions and sign-offs.
- And much more!
Prefer video? The episode also lives on our Youtube page:
About Alex Zikakis:
Alex Zikakis oversees Capstone Advisors’ full range of real estate services including commercial property acquisitions, value-add repositioning, property development, residential land development, and asset management services. In addition he oversees investments in alternative asset classes including real estate secured loans and private equity transactions.
Under his direction, Capstone Advisors has been an equity investor in over $2 billion of residential development ventures, purchased five million square feet of commercial properties, overseen third party asset management services for millions of square feet of retail and office properties, and has developed a variety of commercial properties.
Mr. Zikakis holds a Masters in Business Administration from Cornell University and a Bachelor of Arts degree in finance from the University of Colorado in Boulder. He is a member of the Building Industry Association, the International Council of Shopping Centers, the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties and the Urban Land Institute. He has served on advisory board positions at Cornell University and the University of Colorado, and is currently on the advisory board of the University of San Diego. Mr. Zikakis was awarded the 2005 Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year award for real estate and financial services.
Crexi is transforming commercial real estate with advanced, integrative technology and data analytics designed to accelerate every CRE stakeholder’s success. From trading properties to machine-learning-powered industry Intelligence, Crexi’s intuitive CRE solutions accelerate transaction velocity and have empowered over 2 million monthly users to close $540 billion in deals and market over $5 trillion in property value.